Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Glee 2.08 Special Education


gI'm sorry. I didn't have time to post a review for last week's episode, Furt, just yet. Thanksgiving week was quite hectic. But since this episode came out already, I decided to do this one first. Hopefully, last week's episode will be up soon!

Next to Never Been Kissed (Episode 6), this is my second favorite episode of the season. Not to say that recent episodes were not good but I really feel that this episode did a good job of providing good story for all of the characters.

spoilers under the cut…


As much as I love hearing Lea Michele sing, I’m glad that that this episode for sectionals changing things up. Though I still stand by the fact that the Glee club really needs to find a new way to make their entrance. Granted, the judges for these competitions change often (as evidenced by the poor state paid cynic) but as an avid follower of this episode, I have to wonder how they have yet to figure out a way to make an entrance without coming down the stairs. It was good the first time, acceptable the second time they did it at Regionals, but now it’s gotten kinda stale. That said, I still enjoyed watching Sam and Quinn perform their song. It was so adorable.


Dalton Academy strikes me as a type of Utopia for Kurt. It looks very pink and shiny at the first glance, but at a closer inspection, some flaws come to light. While I applaud the no-harassment attitude they have adopted, their lack of individuality is alarming. In fact, they remind me of male versions of the 50s Stepford Wives stereotype with an elitist air. Of course, this uniformity rule seems to be suspended for Blaine, who appears to be the only soloist in the Warblers. Not that I’m complaining of course. Blaine is a welcome addition to Glee because you can see how much fun he has singing and dancing in a way that doesn’t seem staged. Anyway, back to my original point. The lack of individuality at Dalton seems to be a way to set up Kurt’s return to McKinley. Kurt is a highly individualistic character and as much as I love the Dalton academy blazers, it doesn’t seem right to see Kurt outside of his fashionable wardrobe. After all, one of his first lines was “This is from the Marc Jacobs new collection!”

 While I was hesitant to see how true Brittany and Artie’s relationship is going be given how it started, but I think that this episode did a good job of establishing their relationship in a very positive light. Their story around the magic comb is absolutely adorable and I really think it showed how well Artie understood Brittany and Brittany really had a chance to shine. I find Brittany hilarious when she spouts random one-liners that make absolutely no sense but she is at her best when she’s sincere.

The best part of this episode, in my opinion, is the budding friendship between Kurt and Rachel. They have always had so much potential as friends and it’s completely understandable that it never happened till now. As Rachel said, they were too busy competing against each other. And as lovely as their duet is, I really think that Kurt should have chosen a different song for his solo audition. If he were to truly take Rachel’s advice to heart, choosing a song that reflected his individuality, then he should have chosen a song that meant something to him, not singing the song that Rachel uses to fantasize about her own funeral. That said, I thought the two of them did an amazing job with the song.

As for Rachel herself, I’m glad she finally got some more character development. Her character is most enjoyable when she manages to balance sincerity for helping others with her inherent self-centeredness. Hopefully, her newfound awareness of her selfishness will stick. And while it was wrong of her to cheat with Puck, I personally did not find it as surprising as Finn did that she would turn to someone else when feeling vulnerable. She is dramatic and her self-confidence only extends to her talent and future career. She is constantly seeking assurance from others. Of course the fact that she felt the need to find this comfort from Puck was not a wise move AT ALL. Poor Finn is probably developing a complex.

As for Puck, watching Mr. Shue convince him to be the new Glee club recruiter really cracked me up. “Because you love the Glee club” line really seemed like Mr. Shue is brainwashing him instead of convincing him. Of course is bad-ass-ness seems to have taken a beating (literally and figuratively) but in typical Puck fashion, he’s more concerned about his face. Though a part of me felt bad that he got trapped in a Porta-Pottie for a day, the other part of me really enjoyed the poetic justice of it all, kind of like when he got Slushied in the first season.

Some other things:

The Hipsters! I totally cracked up when I saw the canes and wheelchairs. It really emphasized how old this glee club was. They did sound great.

The Warblers: Well, I’ve said it before, I love Blaine. They looked so adorable with their little dance. Along with the costumes, their performance had a really great old-school charm, even if the song isn’t. And watching the support The New Directions gave for this performance is really heart-warming.

The New Directions: This episode did a good job of getting the team to pull together like they did the first season but still keeping it fresh at the same time. I got to say that the new dance routines are a lot of fun. It is a big step up from all the swaying from last year. It gives their performance even a better energy.



Comments would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment